August 15, 2013

look around pick yourself up off the ground

Last night on the way home from the movies, my mom said something that really stuck with me. I've actually read blog posts on this before (most recently Carly's), but for some reason it never stuck until my mom said it. (Why is moms always seem to know how to get through the best?) She said, "You can't let these hard times in life define you."


I am extraordinarily blessed to live a very privileged life. I have been able to get a good education, I have many friends and family who love and support me, and I have grown up in a community that is safe, beautiful, and friendly. I think I'm a grateful person and I do spend time thinking about these blessings from time to time.

However... I have had struggles in life, and I am (unfortunately) a person who holds onto these moments. I tend to punish myself over and over with mistakes. I tend to dwell on bad encounters, playing them over and over again in my mind. I come up with impossibly high standards and leave no room for error, flexibility, or a change of plans. I could go on and on- but everybody has both blessings and struggles in life, so I am willing to bet everyone would know, to some extent, what I am talking about.

I guess what I'm saying is, sometimes it is so, so hard to pick yourself up out of a dark place.
But it is also so, so important.
No one else can do it for you.

And once you are out of that dark place, you have to know...
IT'S OVER. And it's not important anymore. You just can't let it control you now that you've finally broken free. And while sometimes it feels like you're just treading water, just keep swimming until the memories of that dark place are far, far behind.

xoxo

P.S. Yes... I did just quote a Spice Girls song in the title of this post. #sorryimnotsorry

2 comments:

  1. What a great post! Thanks for sharing. -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alex! I suppose I should give my mom the credit for inspiring it, but it's just one of those messages I felt I had to repeat :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your two cents! I read and appreciate every comment and respond when I can. Thanks for reading. :)