August 13, 2013

Welcome to the South of France

As many of you may know, I studied abroad from August 2012-May 2013 in Aix-en-Provence, France. While I would like to write about those days (eventually), right now my May-June 2013 UK Trip is more at the forefront of my mind. To kick off my very first Travel Tuesdays post, I'm going to start with my last day in Aix, where I played "tourist" for the last time while showing around my good friend, Laura.

Aix-en-Provence is the typical southern French town. It's not quite a city, but not quite a village either. It is a university town, so it's bustling in the winter. (As bustling as a French town gets, anyway.) Considering it's a pretty popular tourist destination, it's quiet and sleepy in the summertime.



Not a cloud in the sky and they're bright and blue. The sun is hot and dry, making meandering strolls in and out of the trees' shade the ideal balance between too hot and too breezy.


The markets are one of the most interesting and most popular "attractions" in Aix. From clothing to textiles to wood carvings to fresh lavender to artisan work to fresh produce, meats, cheeses, and fish, you can find almost anything for a great price at the market.



Below is my favourite quiet spot in Aix. This square doesn't get a ton of traffic, and the mossy cobblestones are quaint and fun. It's a perfect spot to duck into while enjoying a slice of pizza and a Coca on a hot summer day.


Have you ever been to the south of France? What were your favourite parts?
What "attractions" in your current city would you love to show off to a friend?

xoxo

P.S. Today I'm linking up with Found Love, Now What? and A Compass Rose for Travel Tuesdays!

20 comments:

  1. Kaitlyn, I love your photos! I studied abroad in France and we spent a glorious week in the south of France. I loved Aix (and all the glorious ochre cities around there). You are making me want to lounge in the sun eating a baguette with a hunk of good cheese. Stopping by from Travel Tuesdays :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! I'd love to go there. I need to make it to France in general one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the south of France! I stayed with a host family in Toulon and loved every second

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah I'm so jealous you got to live in Aix! I visited there when I was studying in Besancon and remain convinced the south of France is where God vacations. Love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Amy! Isn't it an amazing feeling to be sitting in the sun enjoying a fresh crusty baguette and chunks of cold, creamy cheese? Mmm. I do miss the flavours of the south of France.


    Thanks for visiting... I am loving checking out your blog! (I am also a hedgehog lover.) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That right there is one of my favorite cities in the world! I love Aix so much! If I could spend everyday exploring its streets and sipping wine at one if its sidewalk cafes I would :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your pictures and this post. I miss the days of my study abroad. I was able to go to London in 2009 and while there I met up with an old friend of mine from Clemont Ferrand. It was the most beautiful place. - Alex @ http://alexfahey.blogspot.kr

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so great- there is so much variety of things to see. The landscape is so different from coast to coast and the culture really varies too, from Parisians to Southerners to Northerners. I definitely think it should be on everyone's bucket list ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It has such a great vibe, doesn't it? I also visited Toulon during my time abroad and loved it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hopefully we'll make it to the towns near the Italian border this fall or next spring when the weather gets nice again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi :) Landed from the link-up! What a beautiful place!! I'm going to Paris in September and can! not! wait! but the South looks so idyllic it's definitely next on my list :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes... I am with you on that. Provence is definitely where God vacations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally agree, Sara. There is something magical about spending an afternoon exploring Aix... maybe because no two afternoons are ever the same?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much, Alex! Study abroad really is an amazing experience... it makes the world feel so small. I visited London this past May and fell in l.o.v.e.! I would go back in a heartbeat if I could. I am so jealous you got to study abroad there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for visiting Erica! I visited Paris while studying abroad and it is an amazing city... but make sure to bring your walking shoes. You will need them!!! And if you ever get the chance to spend some summer days in Provence, take it... I don't think there is anywhere else on earth like it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your photos - and France! - are so beautiful! Up until about a year or two ago, France was kind of meh for me, but lately it's been on my radar or places I just want to go to and probably never come back, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much Kristin! Actually, France was NOT my first choice for a study abroad location, and I honestly felt a little bet 'meh' about it too until I got there... but it kind of blew me away how much variety this country has in terms of landscape, culture, and even language- SO fascinating! It changed my mind, that's for sure ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. All the more reason for me to get my butt over there!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Kaitlyn, I'm yet to make it to Provence. Would really love to visit soon. Nice to know that it's less crowded during summer months. Thanks for the lovely virtual tour.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such beautiful weather and what great photos too! Perfect for a visit to the south of France. Makes me want to hop on a plane soon. Thank you for linking up with us for Travel Tuesday. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your two cents! I read and appreciate every comment and respond when I can. Thanks for reading. :)